Friday, December 2, 2011

Camp Nou


When one thinks of Barcelona they associate it with football and more specifically FC Barcelona.  One of the places I wanted to visit the most while I was in Barcelona was Camp Nou.  This stadium is sacred ground for me because I live and breathe football.  I have grown up playing football my entire life and have a genuine adoration for the game.  Camp Nou has been the home of Barca since 1957 and seats 99,354, making it the largest stadium in Europe and the 11th largest in the world in terms of capacity.  Camp Nou has housed many football matches, most notably the UEFA Champions League final in 1999, as well as the bronze and gold medal matches of football for the 1992 Summer Olympics.
            When you enter the stadium you immediately gain a realization of how large the building is.  I was amazed by every aspect of the stadium and desperately wanted to touch the pitch but visitors are not allowed to.  While walking around the stadium I constantly wondered what it would be like to play on the pitch with 99,000 fans cheering for you, especially if you scored a goal. 
            Camp Nou not only acts as Barca’s stadium it houses many other events as well.  To name a few: Bruce Springsteen in 1988, U2 in 2009, and Michael Jackson in 1988.  Future plans for Camp Nou include increasing the seating capacity by 13,500 seats making it the third largest in the world next to the Rungrado May Day Stadium in North Korea (150,000) and the Salt Lake Stadium in India (120,000).  If you are a football fan or not I suggest you visit Camp Nou for the experience.  It truly is a historical stadium rich with Catalan history.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment